The 1908 AFL convention authorized the Executive Council to spend $80,000 to purchase land and erect an office building for the Federation. After the 1914 convention approved raising addtional funds, a lot at the corner of Ninth St. and Massachusetts Ave. N.W. was purchased in 1915 for $40,000. Groundbreaking took place on Oct. 28, 1915 and the cornerstone was laid Jan. 8, 1916. Gompers' son, Henry
, a granite cutter, contributed the cornerstone and President Woodrow Wilson delivered the keynote address when the 7-story, 90-room building was dedicated on July 4th (Photo
). The building, which cost $103,555 to erect, later served as headquarters for the United Association of Plumbers and Pipefitters.